Thursday, July 21, 2011

Baby's Still Cookin'!



Today's Thursday, which means I had another appointment this morning. Today is also the first day I can honestly say I feel nine months pregnant. After not sleeping well on Tuesday night, then not sleeping at all last night, I have a pretty gnarly headache and am feeling just really "meh." (And yes, this is probably some sort of cosmic payback for saying I don't require much sleep. I really don't require MUCH, but I would like SOME.)

Nevertheless, Dr. Norwood and I had a very nice visit, as we always do. We talked about birthdays (he's a July baby too!), weekend plans, Netflix, and other random stuff. Then I asked him to give me the scoop on the doctor who will be on call this weekend, just in case I go into labor. Dr. N insisted that I am not allowed to have the baby this weekend because he wants to deliver it. I want him to, too, but a girl's got to be prepared!

The heartbeat was strong and steady at 147 bpm. The doctor said Baby G sounds very healthy and comfortable in there. My belly size is measuring exactly on schedule. Then he felt for the head, and...

THE BABY STILL HAS NOT DROPPED! 

I want to make it very clear that I'm okay with this, but it is surprising. His head is still high -- I felt it and was able to push it upward. He said the baby is at "minus 2 station," which I think means he's about halfway to the cervix (see illustration above). So despite that last week the doctor didn't think I would go past my due date, now he guesses baby has about another week in there. Which, if accurate, would be EXACTLY what I have predicted since our first appointment with Dr. Norwood -- July 28. But we'll see. None of us has a crystal ball, of course! I'm still totally cool with letting the baby hang out for as long as he needs to until he is ready. I actually find it really motivating that the baby signals for labor to begin, not me; it's like we're working together. His little body will send a message to my body and then things will get going when the time is right! God is an amazing planner and designer!

Dr. N said that once the baby does drop, he would expect the onset of labor to happen pretty quickly for me, since everything else is progressing like he would want it to. But there's no telling when that will be.

In the meantime, I would like to try to sneak in a nap! I think I'll block off an hour on my calendar to try to snooze during lunch. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment