Thursday, July 21, 2011

Random Updates IV

Again with the random updates. None of these topics really warrants its own post, but I have much to share! (Scroll down for an appointment update from this morning, if you're interested.)

I.  Birthday

Tuesday was my birthday. I have always been very possessive of July 19... I LOVE birthdays -- mine and others' -- and I didn't want to share that day, even with my precious baby (I should say, I didn't want him to have to share it with me... right...)! So I was relieved when the day came and went with nary a sign of labor. It was a great day, centered mostly around food, which is just how I like it. Brad brought me breakfast in bed, then we braved the crowd and had In-N-Out Burger for lunch (one just opened in Dallas), and we went to our favorite sushi place in Deep Ellum for dinner. In between I worked, Brad and I took a walk, we visited Preston Center and window shopped, and generally just enjoyed spending time together. I got lots of calls, emails, texts, and Facebook messages, which made my whole day really special!



II.  Dream

So far I've been pretty lucky not to have insane pregnancy dreams or nightmares. I've had a small handful, including two dreams where I gave birth to a Treasure Troll. But the dream I had a few days ago takes the cake. First of all, I've had a few totally unreasonable pregnancy fears, like that our baby has really short (toothpick-sized) legs, since I can't feel him kicking in my ribs like I would expect. I also had a fleeting fear that the baby doesn't have ears, since I have never seen ears in his ultrasound videos or pictures and he doesn't really react to loud noises. And finally, I keep thinking, "What if it's not a boy we're having after all -- what if it's a girl?" because I haven't had an ultrasound since our gender reveal at 20 weeks, and they could have gotten it wrong.

That may explain why I dreamed that not only did I have the baby and it was a female, but she also had a full-grown woman's face and a Prince Valiant haircut like Anton Chigurh in No Country for Old Men. And she was talking to me and apologizing for not being a boy, like we expected. I was HORRIFIED in my dream and ripped out my IV and left the labor & delivery room. It's not like I don't WANT a girl, but we're "prepared" for a boy, so I woke up in a panic.




III.  Vanity

It's hard to look or feel beautiful at 39+ weeks pregnant. A few people have asked why I stopped doing "Bump Chronicles" posts after 35.5 weeks. Part of it, honestly, is that I packed up the camera and all its cords several weeks ago when I packed our hospital bag. But I also feel bad asking Brad to take the pictures (he hates doing that kind of thing -- totally not a historian), and whenever it's convenient (first thing in the morning or last thing at night), my hair is usually messed up and I'm not wearing makeup. I plan to take one on Monday though (due date).

Also, probably due to a combination of HEAT (more on that later) and hormones, I am fighting a vicious battle against acne. It's like the first trimester all over again! I'm washing my face at least three times a day and using copious amounts of benzoil peroxide to keep from being broken out like a 15-year-old when I meet my son. More than you wanted to know? You're welcome.

IV.  Activity Level

Mine and the baby's... I think I'm "over" the nesting thing. There were a couple of weeks there when the urge to tidy, organize and create was virtually uncontrollable, but now I'd rather go for a walk or read or watch a movie than spend an evening organizing and reorganizing the pantry. And that's probably healthy at this point.

The baby continues to move a LOT. One thing I can't figure out is this sort of slow flicking, clicking sensation I feel near his head. The best I can imagine is that he's grasping, like opening and closing his hands. It's SO weird to be able to sense those things. I am sure he's been making those movements for a while now, but I guess he's run out of room to the point that I can feel most everything.

V.  Heat

I mentioned recently that it bothers me when people make disparaging comments under the guise of being funny or wise, like when they tell me I'm never going to sleep again, so enjoy it now. A close runner-up in annoyance is the people who just seem to have such pity for me... strangers at church who will shake my hand, ask when I'm due, then say, "Ohhhh, I bet you're just MISSSSERABLE." Or, "Ohhh honey, to be nine months pregnant in this heat! I would not want to be you right now!" And again, I just think what I always think, which is that being pregnant -- and having a healthy, comfortable pregnancy -- is such a blessing and a privilege. I would not change a thing!
 
That said, I do thank God for air conditioning, as it seems we are having a doozy of a summer! I read this week that Dallas is experiencing its hottest summer since 1980, making it the second-hottest summer in 100 years! We're on our 20th or 21st consecutive day of 100+ degree temperatures, with the highest temperatures reaching 107 (that's actual heat, too -- not heat index). And get this -- my due date, July 25, is historically the HOTTEST day of the year in Dallas! Why do I get the feeling our baby is going to be a little firecracker?

Can't wait to meet him!

2 comments:

  1. When I read about your dream I actually laughed out loud! That is too funny! That haircut is the worst and on a baby, oh my! What a crazy dream! -Brittney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I can relate to everything you said! So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete