Thursday, July 28, 2011

Discouragement

I'm not really sure what to post right now. Lots of emotions, and I want to be careful about how I express them. But I will just say my appointment with Dr. Norwood this morning was very discouraging. For the first time ever, we didn't have any lighthearted chit-chat. No levity at all, really. The doctor was very concerned that I am three days "over my due date" and yet I still don't have any signs of labor. In fact, the baby moved upward from last week (he's at minus 3 station). So, opposite of progress.

We talked about a number of options, and I don't want to get into the details, but the bottom line is that he is afraid I am going to have to have a C-section. Of course, this is the ONE THING that I want to avoid more than anything else, and it has been one of my biggest prayers -- that I will not have to have a C-section. In fact, I chose Dr. Norwood because his C-section rate is so low. But he's giving me the impression that it may be inevitable if nothing changes by this time next week, and he's not confident that it will change.

I asked all the right questions and appropriately objected, saying I will go as long as I can unless it's not safe for the baby. We're going in for a "biophysical profile" early next week to make sure there's still enough amniotic fluid and try to determine if there's a reason the baby hasn't dropped. From there I will have a better idea of how we're going to proceed.

In the meantime, I am asking all of you to pray that labor will start on its own. I'm not on board with the idea of an induction, either, though Dr. Norwood -- who prefers not to induce as well -- said that an induction at this point is almost a given. I will go for that if I absolutely have to, but C-section... it just breaks my heart thinking about it. So please, please... join me in praying that the baby will move downward like he should and that things will get kick-started into action.

I trust that the Sovereign God, Adonai Yahweh, can make labor start at any time. I also know that if it is a part of his plan, for some reason, that I have a C-section, that will come to pass. But I am asking in faith that he will allow me to have the kind of birth experience I have envisioned. Anything but a C-section. I'm grateful to have had a dream pregnancy to this point, but I am feeling really defeated right now after meeting with the doctor. So thank you in advance for lifting up this need.

"I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted." Job 42:2

"Only I can tell you the future before it even happens. Everything I plan will come to pass, for I do whatever I wish." Isaiah 46:10

"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22-23

"Therefore the Lord waits to be gracious to you, and therefore he exalts himself to show mercy to you. For the Lord is a God of justice; blessed are all those who wait for him." Isaiah 30:18

"Let your mercy, O Lord, be upon us, just as we hope in you." Psalm 33:22

3 comments:

  1. Praying for you. I give you these:

    Psalm 139:14-16
    and I praise you
    because of
    the wonderful way
    you created me.
    Everything you do is marvelous!
    Of this I have no doubt.
    Nothing about me
    is hidden from you!
    I was secretly woven together
    deep in the earth below,
    (THIS IS MY FAVORITE PART)
    but with your own eyes
    you saw
    my body being formed.
    Even before I was born,
    you had written in your book
    everything I would do.

    Ephesians 3:20-21

    20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Greatie! Sorry about your anxieties. Trivia for you: I was a C-section baby. I know God will work it out in the right way. When you hold your baby, you'll be so happy! All of this will be over soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still praying for your sweet little family!

    ReplyDelete